Thursday, June 27, 2013

FACTORY 49@STEPHEN McLAUGHAN GALLERY - Room 8, Level 16, 37 Swanston St, Melbourne - 22 May- 8 June, 2013

Stephen Wickham and Pam Aitken selected a group of artists from Sydney and Melbourne for a show at the Stephen McLaughlan Gallery in Melbourne.  The artists were Pam Aitken, Susan Andrews, Tim Bass, Tracey Coutts, Andrew Christofides, Kate T Deacock, Kendal Heyes, Kate Mackay, Liz Shreeve, Paul Snell and Stephen Wickham. 

I exhibited 3 'One & the Same' paintings - white, colour and black.  CLICK HERE for a video of the exhibition.

kate mackay, factory 49, stephen mclaughlan gallery, painting, geometric abstraction, non objective
'One & the Same: White, Colour, Black', oil on canvas, 45cm x 45cm each, 2013
kate mackay, factory 49, stephen mclaughlan gallery, painting, geometric abstraction, non objective
While in Melbourne I visited the Ian Potter Centre in Federation Square where they had an exhibition called 'Mix Tape 1980s'.  I started at art school in the middle of the 1980's and walking around this show was a revisiting of all the stuff that I was looking at during my time at Sydney College of the Arts.
(CLICK HERE for an ABC video of the show)
I then saw the Steig Persson and gasped! - I had completely forgotten it - I had completely forgotten that I had completely copied it, but I recognised it immediately and realised that it was absolutely crucial to the paintings that I began doing at the time.  Here is the Steig Persson and a detail of the central section that I 're-imagined'...

I copied the grid and the monochrome, and I used a stencil for the first time to produce repeated flower motifs on 2 paintings - one with white flowers on a black background and one with black flowers on a white background....thank you Mr Persson...

kate mackay, painting, 1988,

kate mackay, painting, 1988,
'Untitled: White & Black', oil and wax on canvas, 150cm x 90cm each, 1988

No comments:

Post a Comment